Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Working Motherhood: 1 year down, 31 to go

One year ago today I began the circus of working motherhood after 2 short months of maternity leave. I knew it wouldn't be easy, and it definitely has its ups and downs. I don't have the most family-friendly job, so some of the trials and tribulations have not been easy, but my office did cut me some slack in the beginning and eased me back into the work load and travel schedule at first.
Some days I am happy to drop Eli off at daycare where he eats all his table food and takes a nap on schedule. And other mornings he is just so cute and adorable it's hard to leave him at daycare so I can go stare at my cubicle for the day. Some weeks I actually do get to do some cool stuff at work, and other weeks I have to look at Eli's college fund to keep me motivated. Sometimes it all becomes so absurd I just have to laugh at it (like all of the strange places I've had to pump milk at conferences, or the briefing I had to present to my boss with Eli tied to my back). And other days...well...I'm still looking for the humor, and trying to make the best of the next 31 years until retirement (well, I could be a working grandmother by then!)

No comments: