Alex’s Suggestions for Pumping at Work…
and other thoughts on breastfeeding
Note: When I was pregnant I decided to give breastfeeding 6 months and then see how it goes. Since becoming a mother, I’ve gotten rather adamant about breastfeeding as the best, healthiest, and most convenient option. So far in almost a year my baby has never had formula, and I have a full-time job (including travel), part-time grad school, and busy husband. I’ve concluded I’m too cheap and busy to mess with formula and it’s the best thing for both of us. If I can do it, anyone can if she is dedicated; it isn’t easy, but it is possible. It may not be the best option for everyone, but it’s worth giving a fair try. The following advice is based extensive reading and my experience with one baby; rely on whatever you think is best for you and your baby. ~Alex
1. Get a good pump.
I have used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Backpack. I like it, but I haven’t tried any others to compare. It is generally considered top of the line (outside of hospital-grade rental pumps), but there are other options. Look around online to compare prices, especially from smaller distributors. I got mine for $70 less than BabiesRUs with free shipping.
2. Consider getting spare parts for your pump.
Extra breast flanges will save you a wash. Valve membranes tend to disappear. One valve cracked when I dropped it. My cat ate through two sets of tubings and 5 rubber port caps. Know how to get replacements in a pinch. Babies R Us carries some parts. Our local hospital Lactation Center carries most parts, but they are only open 9-3, however once they left a small spare part taped to the door for me and I slipped the money under the door on my way home from work. Otherwise you may have to order online. I’ve used http://www.selfexpressions.com/. I read somewhere that they recommend you replace some of these parts after 6 months anyway, so might as well get them in the beginning just in case, if you are planning to stick with pumping.
3. Get plenty of bottles
I have 12 (3x 4packs of the Medela bottles). It’s just easier to have extras (in addition to 4 empty for pumping at work, 3 full for daycare, one on standby for you to go out when you want, and 2 to pump at night). Also, for the first few months the Medela orthodontic nipples that come with them are too fast so I got the Gerber NUK orthodontic newborn slow flow nipples (the pediatrician recommended orthodontic nipples), and then around 4 months used the Medelas until I moved him up to the Gerber NUK fast flow orthodontic nipples around 8 months. The larger bottles aren’t compatible with pumps (at least not medela), so if you choose another brand of bottles, you either have to pump into the medelas and dump it into your chosen bottles, or I’ve seen adapter kits from some online breastfeeding supply stores. Compare your brand of pump with your chosen brand of bottle (and nipples) and figure it out before you purchase. I just gave up and went with the more expensive medelas.
4. Get good nursing bras.
Don’t get underwires, which can block a milk duct and cause infection. (If you think you have a blocked duct, which feels like very localized aching, nurse and pump as often as you possibly can!) I liked the bras at Motherhood Maternity, but I didn’t try any of the higher-end brands, although in hindsight I should have made the investment (Target’s were awful, and after a while Motherhood’s didn’t fit very well). Try lots of sizes to get the right fit (on the loosest hook- you will still shrink some as you lose baby weight and your ribcage goes back to normal, and they stretch out in the wash) and consider ease of unhooking and hooking the front flaps with one hand (in public with a squirming hungry baby). Avoid the tiny metal bra-hook style flap closures – they are way too hard with one hand (however, if you find one that fits great but has tricky flaps, you can always just wear it to work and save the easy-open bras for when you’re with baby). Be sure it fits properly; you may be surprised at your new size (I read you should try going up a cup size and down a band size from what you think you are, and it worked for me). I would buy just a couple cheaper bras before or right after you deliver, and then wait to invest in some nicer bras until you get ready to go back to work (my size really changed in the first couple months as I lost weight and the engorgement eased).
I also highly recommend breast pads, especially for the first few months when you are prone to leaks. I like the cotton washable pads from Lansinoh.
Also, before you deliver, get a comfortable cotton sleep bra for the first few months when you will leak overnight and have to keep breast pads in place (and keep in mind the ease of access; most are cross-over style).
5. Talk to your office about the availability of a lactation room.
If you are lucky enough to have your own office with a door, you are set. If there isn’t one already, ask the staff director or HR about scheduling a conference room or unused office, or even a storage closet. Just make sure the door locks from the inside and/or put a big “do not disturb” sign on it. You also need an accessible electrical outlet, small table, and comfortable chair. Bring in photos of baby and magazines (baby magazines seem to help set the mood, but anything relaxing or mindless).
Figure out refrigeration logistics. Most pumps come with a cooler lunch bag that you can just put in the office fridge and no one will know. I’ve found that the freezer pack that comes with my pump’s cooler bag keeps milk reasonably cold all day when I can’t get to the fridge (and breastmilk doesn’t spoil as fast as cow milk because of the antibodies).
I pump 3 times a day (every 3 hrs) for about 15-20 minutes each time total, although the other women in my office only pumped twice. Don’t feel rushed. Think of this as your break time, and if you feel guilty about it, think about all the smokers in your office that spend as much time out of the workday doing something unhealthy for all of us.
6. Get in touch with your inner dairy cow.
Pumping is just a bizarre process, and you just have to keep a sense of humor about it and feel comfortable hooked up to a milking contraption. Moo.
6a. Be confident you are doing the right thing.
There is a difference between being discreet and being embarrassed. No one needs to know what you are doing, but if they do, then so what? Being uncomfortable just inhibits let-down. Just remember that the pump is quieter than you think and unless someone has their ear to the door they won’t know what you are doing. Usually the only ones that do know what you are doing are other parents, who would be supportive. Everyone else just doesn’t need or want to know. Don’t ask, don’t tell. You are doing the best thing for your baby and for you, and that is all that really matters.
7. Stock the freezer.
While you are still on maternity leave, pump as much as you possibly can and freeze it. Take advantage of the oversupply and engorgement. I had such an abundant milk supply while I was home for the first two months that I didn’t take this seriously and regretted it when my supply went down at work. Even if you have no problems pumping now (although I read it takes a while for most women to build up to pumping significant quantities), there are going to be times when your supply runs low because of stress or illness (in you or baby). The supply-demand system isn’t perfect when you are pumping during the day, and I found it got even more challenging once he started eating solids at 6 months. Having a well-stocked freezer (and cycling it out regularly with fresh milk to freeze) will save you much stress on bad pumping days, and gives you a buffer to go out without baby when you want to. You will also be prepared if you have to go out of town for work for a night or two. I like the Lansinoh CSF ziptop bags for freezer storage (just thaw in a bowl in the fridge overnight just in case of a puncture and pour into a bottle).
7a. Every drop counts
I get very discouraged on bad days when I only pump a couple ounces (or less), but then I am glad for that ounce when I try pumping more later and before I know it I have a full bottle. This sounds stupidly obvious, but it’s good to remember when you get frustrated.
7b. Leave milk for baby
When you are home with baby, only pump one side (instead of both at once) unless you are sure baby will not want to eat for at least another hour. I made the mistake of double-pumping after I thought Eli was asleep in the early days and he woke up hungry and very upset I didn’t have any milk for him. However, once baby is on some sort of nighttime schedule, pump both sides before you go to bed to prevent waking up engorged and leaking.
7c. Make sure you get baby accustomed to a bottle.
It could be harder than you think. Our pediatrician recommended at 4-6 weeks to introduce the bottle. You will probably have to leave the room (and I recommend leaving the house) because if he knows you are around, he will hold out for the real thing. Have someone else (like Dad or Grandma) give him a bottle a couple times a week (great excuse for you to go out!)
8. Have a supportive husband.
If he questions your breastfeeding commitment, remind him that it’s the best thing to keep baby healthy (and reduces daycare illnesses that you will both catch), it helps you to lose the baby weight, it prevents you from having a cycle (thus PMS) for several months, and he can marvel at your new figure. Not to mention the bonding experience you have with baby, which I think is really helpful after being separated all day at work. In the hospital, make sure he observes carefully while the nurse or lactation consultant teaches you to get positioned and baby latched on so he can help you at home in those first days when you need 28 pillows and a boppy to get positioned.
9. On bad days, consider your option.
When you get frustrated and think about weaning early, consider the hassles of preparing bottles of formula, always having to bring bottles wherever you go, and the huge expense of formula. Besides, you will have to wash even more bottles and nipples every night, which is the part I consider a hassle. If it’s really not working out, you can try supplementing with bottles that are part milk and part formula, but seek help from a lactation consultant or La Leche leader. Any milk is better than none. It is liberating, I think, to be able to run out of the house with nothing but a diaper, a few wipes, and your boobs and know your baby will be fine for the day.
10. Put all your dresses in the back of the closet until weaning.
Unless it has buttons in the front, you won’t be able to nurse or pump without getting undressed. Stick to 2 piece separates. Milk washes out of almost everything, but I wouldn’t wear any delicate silk blouses.
10a. Don’t go overboard buying nursing clothes until after you’ve gotten the hang of breastfeeding.
In general I don’t think they are necessary unless they really make you feel more comfortable about modesty in public; I just wear regular pull-over shirts that aren’t too tight. Pullover sweaters can be more of a challenge because of the bulk (trying to keep it out of baby’s way while covering up the action is harder) although cardigans over another shirt are great, and button-up shirts I find too difficult to cover up in public. I did get a nursing camisole/tank-top from Target, which was good for layering, however the flap opening is the same as a nursing bra, so it’s not very discreet on its own. The only times I regretted not having a nursing top is when using a baby carrier in the front where he could have easily nursed while in the carrier if I had one of the shirts with vertical slits on each side.and other thoughts on breastfeeding
Note: When I was pregnant I decided to give breastfeeding 6 months and then see how it goes. Since becoming a mother, I’ve gotten rather adamant about breastfeeding as the best, healthiest, and most convenient option. So far in almost a year my baby has never had formula, and I have a full-time job (including travel), part-time grad school, and busy husband. I’ve concluded I’m too cheap and busy to mess with formula and it’s the best thing for both of us. If I can do it, anyone can if she is dedicated; it isn’t easy, but it is possible. It may not be the best option for everyone, but it’s worth giving a fair try. The following advice is based extensive reading and my experience with one baby; rely on whatever you think is best for you and your baby. ~Alex
1. Get a good pump.
I have used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Backpack. I like it, but I haven’t tried any others to compare. It is generally considered top of the line (outside of hospital-grade rental pumps), but there are other options. Look around online to compare prices, especially from smaller distributors. I got mine for $70 less than BabiesRUs with free shipping.
2. Consider getting spare parts for your pump.
Extra breast flanges will save you a wash. Valve membranes tend to disappear. One valve cracked when I dropped it. My cat ate through two sets of tubings and 5 rubber port caps. Know how to get replacements in a pinch. Babies R Us carries some parts. Our local hospital Lactation Center carries most parts, but they are only open 9-3, however once they left a small spare part taped to the door for me and I slipped the money under the door on my way home from work. Otherwise you may have to order online. I’ve used http://www.selfexpressions.com/. I read somewhere that they recommend you replace some of these parts after 6 months anyway, so might as well get them in the beginning just in case, if you are planning to stick with pumping.
3. Get plenty of bottles
I have 12 (3x 4packs of the Medela bottles). It’s just easier to have extras (in addition to 4 empty for pumping at work, 3 full for daycare, one on standby for you to go out when you want, and 2 to pump at night). Also, for the first few months the Medela orthodontic nipples that come with them are too fast so I got the Gerber NUK orthodontic newborn slow flow nipples (the pediatrician recommended orthodontic nipples), and then around 4 months used the Medelas until I moved him up to the Gerber NUK fast flow orthodontic nipples around 8 months. The larger bottles aren’t compatible with pumps (at least not medela), so if you choose another brand of bottles, you either have to pump into the medelas and dump it into your chosen bottles, or I’ve seen adapter kits from some online breastfeeding supply stores. Compare your brand of pump with your chosen brand of bottle (and nipples) and figure it out before you purchase. I just gave up and went with the more expensive medelas.
4. Get good nursing bras.
Don’t get underwires, which can block a milk duct and cause infection. (If you think you have a blocked duct, which feels like very localized aching, nurse and pump as often as you possibly can!) I liked the bras at Motherhood Maternity, but I didn’t try any of the higher-end brands, although in hindsight I should have made the investment (Target’s were awful, and after a while Motherhood’s didn’t fit very well). Try lots of sizes to get the right fit (on the loosest hook- you will still shrink some as you lose baby weight and your ribcage goes back to normal, and they stretch out in the wash) and consider ease of unhooking and hooking the front flaps with one hand (in public with a squirming hungry baby). Avoid the tiny metal bra-hook style flap closures – they are way too hard with one hand (however, if you find one that fits great but has tricky flaps, you can always just wear it to work and save the easy-open bras for when you’re with baby). Be sure it fits properly; you may be surprised at your new size (I read you should try going up a cup size and down a band size from what you think you are, and it worked for me). I would buy just a couple cheaper bras before or right after you deliver, and then wait to invest in some nicer bras until you get ready to go back to work (my size really changed in the first couple months as I lost weight and the engorgement eased).
I also highly recommend breast pads, especially for the first few months when you are prone to leaks. I like the cotton washable pads from Lansinoh.
Also, before you deliver, get a comfortable cotton sleep bra for the first few months when you will leak overnight and have to keep breast pads in place (and keep in mind the ease of access; most are cross-over style).
5. Talk to your office about the availability of a lactation room.
If you are lucky enough to have your own office with a door, you are set. If there isn’t one already, ask the staff director or HR about scheduling a conference room or unused office, or even a storage closet. Just make sure the door locks from the inside and/or put a big “do not disturb” sign on it. You also need an accessible electrical outlet, small table, and comfortable chair. Bring in photos of baby and magazines (baby magazines seem to help set the mood, but anything relaxing or mindless).
Figure out refrigeration logistics. Most pumps come with a cooler lunch bag that you can just put in the office fridge and no one will know. I’ve found that the freezer pack that comes with my pump’s cooler bag keeps milk reasonably cold all day when I can’t get to the fridge (and breastmilk doesn’t spoil as fast as cow milk because of the antibodies).
I pump 3 times a day (every 3 hrs) for about 15-20 minutes each time total, although the other women in my office only pumped twice. Don’t feel rushed. Think of this as your break time, and if you feel guilty about it, think about all the smokers in your office that spend as much time out of the workday doing something unhealthy for all of us.
6. Get in touch with your inner dairy cow.
Pumping is just a bizarre process, and you just have to keep a sense of humor about it and feel comfortable hooked up to a milking contraption. Moo.
6a. Be confident you are doing the right thing.
There is a difference between being discreet and being embarrassed. No one needs to know what you are doing, but if they do, then so what? Being uncomfortable just inhibits let-down. Just remember that the pump is quieter than you think and unless someone has their ear to the door they won’t know what you are doing. Usually the only ones that do know what you are doing are other parents, who would be supportive. Everyone else just doesn’t need or want to know. Don’t ask, don’t tell. You are doing the best thing for your baby and for you, and that is all that really matters.
7. Stock the freezer.
While you are still on maternity leave, pump as much as you possibly can and freeze it. Take advantage of the oversupply and engorgement. I had such an abundant milk supply while I was home for the first two months that I didn’t take this seriously and regretted it when my supply went down at work. Even if you have no problems pumping now (although I read it takes a while for most women to build up to pumping significant quantities), there are going to be times when your supply runs low because of stress or illness (in you or baby). The supply-demand system isn’t perfect when you are pumping during the day, and I found it got even more challenging once he started eating solids at 6 months. Having a well-stocked freezer (and cycling it out regularly with fresh milk to freeze) will save you much stress on bad pumping days, and gives you a buffer to go out without baby when you want to. You will also be prepared if you have to go out of town for work for a night or two. I like the Lansinoh CSF ziptop bags for freezer storage (just thaw in a bowl in the fridge overnight just in case of a puncture and pour into a bottle).
7a. Every drop counts
I get very discouraged on bad days when I only pump a couple ounces (or less), but then I am glad for that ounce when I try pumping more later and before I know it I have a full bottle. This sounds stupidly obvious, but it’s good to remember when you get frustrated.
7b. Leave milk for baby
When you are home with baby, only pump one side (instead of both at once) unless you are sure baby will not want to eat for at least another hour. I made the mistake of double-pumping after I thought Eli was asleep in the early days and he woke up hungry and very upset I didn’t have any milk for him. However, once baby is on some sort of nighttime schedule, pump both sides before you go to bed to prevent waking up engorged and leaking.
7c. Make sure you get baby accustomed to a bottle.
It could be harder than you think. Our pediatrician recommended at 4-6 weeks to introduce the bottle. You will probably have to leave the room (and I recommend leaving the house) because if he knows you are around, he will hold out for the real thing. Have someone else (like Dad or Grandma) give him a bottle a couple times a week (great excuse for you to go out!)
8. Have a supportive husband.
If he questions your breastfeeding commitment, remind him that it’s the best thing to keep baby healthy (and reduces daycare illnesses that you will both catch), it helps you to lose the baby weight, it prevents you from having a cycle (thus PMS) for several months, and he can marvel at your new figure. Not to mention the bonding experience you have with baby, which I think is really helpful after being separated all day at work. In the hospital, make sure he observes carefully while the nurse or lactation consultant teaches you to get positioned and baby latched on so he can help you at home in those first days when you need 28 pillows and a boppy to get positioned.
9. On bad days, consider your option.
When you get frustrated and think about weaning early, consider the hassles of preparing bottles of formula, always having to bring bottles wherever you go, and the huge expense of formula. Besides, you will have to wash even more bottles and nipples every night, which is the part I consider a hassle. If it’s really not working out, you can try supplementing with bottles that are part milk and part formula, but seek help from a lactation consultant or La Leche leader. Any milk is better than none. It is liberating, I think, to be able to run out of the house with nothing but a diaper, a few wipes, and your boobs and know your baby will be fine for the day.
10. Put all your dresses in the back of the closet until weaning.
Unless it has buttons in the front, you won’t be able to nurse or pump without getting undressed. Stick to 2 piece separates. Milk washes out of almost everything, but I wouldn’t wear any delicate silk blouses.
10a. Don’t go overboard buying nursing clothes until after you’ve gotten the hang of breastfeeding.
11. Always have a blazer or cardigan at work.
Just in case you need to cover up a leak. This only happened to me once when I was stuck in a meeting and missed my pumping time and had to go down the hall with my arms crossed in front to go get my sweater, so it’s good to be prepared. It’s also good to keep spare breast pads in your desk and in your pump bag and purse just in case you soak through.
12. Take care of yourself as best you can.
Make sure you are eating enough calories (I had to try harder than I expected), but keep it healthy and limit the junk. Make sure you are drinking plenty (the recommended 8 glass minimum wasn’t enough for me). Try to get as much sleep as you can (yeah, I know this one isn’t very easy), and try not to stress too much – your office should cut you some slack in the beginning. Do whatever you can to avoid getting sick – hand washing, Purell, Zicam, ColdEeze, vitamins, disinfecting surface wipes, flu shot, whatever might work. There is a measurable difference in milk production when I haven’t had enough to eat or drink or don’t feel well.
13. When you are home from work, nurse as much as possible
It helps to help keep up the supply-demand system with lots of nursing in the evenings and weekends. Personally I decided against using a pacifier because if he wants to “comfort suck” than it helps my supply and I don’t mind. But, Eli is also a happy, easy-going baby so some babies might find a pacifier helpful at daycare, and now the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends pacifiers for sleeping.
14. Business travel without formula is possible!
The older the baby and the shorter the trip, the easier it is. As a ballpark estimate, assume you need at least a week to stockpile a day’s worth of milk, if your supply is ok and you can sneak in extra pumpings. Before a trip at 11 months, I was pumping one side in the mornings when he woke up and ate from the other and then finished off the pumped side, 3 times a day at work, immediately when I got home from work while he ate solid dinner, and before bed. After 8 months it is easier because baby replaces one daycare bottle with another solid meal, so he only needs about 4-5 bottles a day (but maintain your previous pumping schedule to stock extra), and then at 1 year he can start on whole cow’s milk.
Once the freezer is stocked, consider your travel pumping logistics. Airport security may get alarmed when your pump goes through the X-ray (mine got swabbed for explosives and hand-inspected). Hotel mini-bars (if you adjust the temperature setting to the coldest) can work for milk storage in a pinch but make sure they won’t charge you for temporarily removing items from the mini-bar. Even better, call in advance to have a mini-fridge in your room, which usually costs $10-20 per stay, but they often won’t charge you if tell them it is for a medical reason; if they resist, just say the word “breastmilk” and they usually won’t ask any more questions. Cooler icepacks may freeze on top of the minibar icemaker compartment. Bring an extra insulated cooler bag or lunch bag and enough icepacks for the trip home. CSF ziptop milk bags take up less space than bottles in your cooler. Make sure your pump’s battery pack works and you have extras.
At the meeting/conference site, the handicapped bathroom is usually bearable for pumping in a pinch during coffee breaks or lunch breaks (especially if you can bring in a chair and face away from the toilet). If you have tinted windows and a longer break, your car is another option (they even sell car adapters for my pump). At the airport, look for the “companion care” or “family” bathrooms to pump during layovers. They are usually large, single bathrooms that have an electrical outlet. Pump as often as you can while away, but be prepared for a drop in supply when you come home (luckily you’ll have all the milk you pumped during your trip to fill the shortage for a while).
15. If you are having problems, seek help
The hospital where you deliver hopefully has lactation consulting services. Take full advantage of this before you go home to make sure you are off to a good start. Nursing is not as easy as it looks at first, and a very minor-seeming problem, like an error in latch or positioning, can result in great pain for you and limited milk for baby. Even so, it is still somewhat uncomfortable (yes, even painful) for the first week or so, but it will be well worth it quickly; if you made it through childbirth you can make it through sore nipples and engorgement. Books and reputable websites can help you trouble-shoot on your own; La Leche League’s website, http://www.laleche.org/, is chock-full of information and resources, and because of their extremely pro-breastfeeding agenda, they provide answers to many obstacles and issues not addressed elsewhere on more “mainstream” parenting sites that tend to assume all babies are on formula after a few months. If you are still having problems, talk to a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader before things get too challenging.
16. Other handy tidbits
I like the Medela micro-steam bags so I can just rinse out the pump parts and nipples and toss them in the bag with water and microwave to sterilize them every night. I keep a gallon Ziploc bag in my pump bag to hold my pump parts between uses at work (and just rinse it out and dry it every night and replace it when needed.) I use a Sharpie industrial laboratory grade marker to write baby’s name on all bottles and nipple caps for daycare (it usually lasts a few washings). If you don’t already have one, get a bottle/nipple brush and bottle drying rack (Munchkin makes cheap racks and brushes that worked fine).
Also, Yogi Tea Nursing Mother herbal is worth a try to keep milk production up, and if you don’t mind the taste it is hydrating whether or not it works. Fenugreek capsules also help increase milk supply and are broadly recommended by lactation consultants (safe as long as you aren’t pregnant). Both are available at My Organic Market or other natural food stores.
Another trick, which requires assistance at first, is to nurse baby on one side while simultaneously pumping the other side. It’s complicated, but it can be done (especially with help), and your pumping is increased thanks to the baby-inspired let-down.
Don’t let teething discourage you. If he bites, take him off and say no firmly. If he tries it again, say no again, and if he does it a third time, end the feeding. Eli started teething early (4 months) and had 6 teeth by 8 months, and he didn’t always seem to understand “no”, but he understood that biting meant the end of that feeding session, so it hasn’t been a real problem since the first tooth.
17. A note on nursing in public
After a few weeks, once you get the hang of positioning correctly and baby has figured out what to do, you can nurse anywhere. (Eli has eaten in every local restaurant, every mode of transportation, on the back of a hay ride wagon, at a funeral, standing in lines, three Nationals games, you name it). Once you get over the fear of flashing people (which you aren’t), there’s no reason to be embarrassed to nurse in public (most people don’t know what you are doing anyway, and if they do, than you are setting a good example). The only tricky part is getting unhooked and latched on discretely, and my trick is to take a thin baby blanket, drape it over my arm (like a waiter) on the side he will nurse on, then pick up baby, and drape the free end of the blanket over his head while you get situated. Also if you feed him before he gets really upset, it significantly reduces the attention drawn to you and he won’t put up a fight to latch on. Sitting in corner booths at restaurants also helps. People often commented that he was so quiet they never knew there was a baby around. Also consider getting a baby sling or similar type of carrier that helps you discretely nurse. If you ever fly with baby, make sure to nurse for takeoff/landings (and if you are planning any long flights, the best time is before he starts crawling around 8 months, although before 6 months seemed to be even easier).
18. Miscellaneous baby calming things that worked for us
-Swaddling to sleep: The Kiddopotomus Swaddle Me makes this easy. The small fleece one stayed tight and we could not have lived without it, but the cotton jersey knit one I got in the larger 4-7m size didn’t really fit tight enough to do the trick.
-Vibrating bouncy seat (we had a Fisher Price Linkadoos)
-Baby wearing: the baby bjorn and after 5 months a traditional Mei Tai Asian-style back carrier, although it can also be used like a bjorn in the beginning (http://www.peppermint.com/, http://www.thebabywearer.com/, and http://www.freehandbaby.com/)
-Baby Einstein Baby Mozart DVD is like baby crack when all else fails (especially for sitters)
-Ceiling fans, wind chimes, dishwasher noises, musical mobile, wind-up musical teddy, going outside for a change of scene, and of course, nursing.
No comments:
Post a Comment