

My quote of the day [complaining to Justin]: "I tried hiding the tater tots mixed in with the peas but he still won't eat them!"
One week to go until Eli's 18 month check-up and weigh-in, and Eli hasn't been eating as much as the doctor probably thinks he should. He decided he didn't like tater-tots (which I thought would be a good way to get some extra calories - and at least they were organic), and he's gotten tired of chicken nuggets. But he really likes peas and other veggies, which is great, but he needs some calories and protein too. Chicken nuggets (the organic kind, so at least they were actually made out of chicken) were the only meat I could get him to eat regularly, but now those don't work either. I can't believe I am worrying that my kid doesn't want to eat chicken nuggets and tater tots. I'm all about feeding him healthy normal food, but he's not usually interested. It's so counterintuitive after all the attention given to childhood obesity, and my own personal opposition to junky "kid food".
The big success today was a batch of apple-bran muffins I made last night. Eli ate a whole muffin when he came home from daycare. Now I'm trying to figure out how to increase the calories in them for the next batch, but they were a big hit.
My mom keeps telling me to not be concerned about Eli's eating and weight, but then I spent almost my entire childhood far below the percentile charts (and now I've just matured from "small fry" into "petite"). Eli is genetically screwed in the size department, but hopefully he'll at least stay on the charts.
In other news, Eli said "dog" today when he went jogging with Justin and pointed to all the dogs they passed and repeated the word. He's also started saying cookie (well, "koo-kah") because, besides peas, that is his favorite food now (the Sesame Street alphabet cookies). He seems to be focusing on verbal skills now that he has the walking thing pretty well mastered.
3 comments:
Uncle Fred says, give him chocolate chip cookies and he will never look at sesame street again!!
Eddie is really into peas now too--only he calls them 'balls'. Anythng that has any hint of a round form is a ball. Egg yolks. I'm telling you. Avacado too. I'm with your mom tho'. If he is consistently low, that's your pattern. But then nobody likes to hear concern from their doctor.
It's time to try the egg yolk and avocado again - he didn't like them, but that was several months ago. Not sure about the chocolate chip cookies though, he's pretty crazy on a sugar rush, which is usally caused by frozen custard.
Post a Comment