Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Transition Collision

All the parenting advice sources always recommend spacing out major transitions and expecting some regression after major transitions...and then there's real life. Right now Eli is dealing with the (hopefully) imminent arrival of his baby sister, transition to his big bed, and potty training. Since he's been in preschool over a month I guess we can at least cross that transition off the list.

We were hoping to get serious about potty training at the beginning of the summer, but with Justin out campaigning I just didn't have the energy to take it on alone (and Eli was already dealing with daddy being gone). Now he's mostly pee-trained at preschool and usually doesn't need to change his pull-up during the day. At home though is more mixed. This weekend whenever I asked if he needed to go he said "no thanks" so I backed off before it became an issue. At this point I'm holding off on the big jump to underwear until after he's gotten over the initial shock of his baby sister and done whatever regressing he might do.

I wanted to do the bed transition ASAP because Eli has been excited about the idea and I wanted to give him a few months while baby is in the bassinet in case he decided he wasn't ready to switch cold turkey. So far so good with the new bed - two successful nights and a naptime (which is no small feat considering how badly weekend naps have been going at home). He does like to kick the wall before he goes to sleep, which is annoying, but at least it is the guest room wall and not the party wall with the neighbors. Fortunately he understands the imaginary confines of the bed so far and still calls for me to come get him when he wakes up.

He keeps asking if baby sister is here yet. Someone hasn't gotten that memo, despite lots of walking, extreme cleaning, and spicy Indian food...

No comments: