Wednesday, August 23, 2006

When your kid is THAT kid...


...that's causing problems...
Eli's daycare told us today he is having some biting issues, because he gets upset when another kid tries to take his toy and he doesn't know how to "use his words" yet. Yes, it's a normal toddler phase for some kids, but now I feel compelled to go on a massive research quest for advice, since the basics aren't doing the trick. I've read the general advice, which we've been doing, but it hasn't had an affect apparently. He's bitten us at home occassionally, but usually when he gets all wound up and he thinks he's being playful (we of course try to deal with it, but he hasn't caught on yet I guess).
I suppose when you have an otherwise sweet boy who can be a super-posessive pirhana with a limited vocabulary this isn't a big surprise, but this better stop quickly before he causes more daycare problems or hurts someone. We got a daycare report that he was the victim of a biter a few weeks ago, so I wonder if that may have contributed to (or inspired) his recent aggression.
In more positive developments, Eli's been showing some early readiness signs for potty training. Not rushing out to buy undies yet, but it's encouraging that he now announces to us when he's about to "go" so he can at least anticipate and communicate the need. But there's a difference between that and actually figuring out the process...

No comments: