Friday, December 09, 2005

A Few Dozen Inlaws, The Stomach Flu, and the Cat Who Ate My Breastpump

You know those weeks that you really just should have been in Tahiti? I am having the biggest TGIF party ever tonight (well, just me at my Couch Command Center).
Last week, after Thanksgiving, I was out of town on a work trip, so I was already a little frazzled going into the weekend. It all started with a massive elaborately-planned family gathering last weekend for my in-laws Leslie & Ed, who had a weekend-long joint retirement extravaganza, with several friends, coworkers, and a few dozen relatives (no, not exaggerating). Now, let me just say that I really do like my in-laws and we actually do get along well. But...well, dealing with dozens of any relatives is just overwhelming.
Now, enter The Stomach Flu (yes, the diarrhea/vomitting/wishing-for-death kind). Conveniently timed to make its appearance as we were about to depart the house for the Main Event of the retirement party weekend. Eli doesn't get sick often, but we feigned optimism that his dinner just didn't settle well and moved on to the party. At the party we started making our rounds to all the family and friends. As I was holding him, talking to one of Leslie's former co-workers in the middle of the room, my velvet top and wool slacks got a coating of slightly processed sweet potatoes and yogurt (yeah, I know, really gross and TMI). We stayed a bit longer to get our buffet dinners boxed up and say hi to a few more people before quickly exiting.
Sunday morning, at the family brunch, Eli seemed to be doing better. We went home for some quality time with the fam, which was interrupted by a frantic trip to buy more diapers and wipes (and an emergency load of laundry). More vomitting ensued that night, leading to the most pathetic moment when I was holding a very weak and exhausted Eli, limp and barely able to open his eyes, while Justin gave him little droppers-full of Pedialyte and consulted with the on-call pediatrician.
Eli had a rough night, but Monday morning I gave him as much breastmilk and Pedialyte as he'd take to rehydrate him, and after he was able to keep down some rice cereal mush, dropped him at daycare and crossed my fingers. I then rushed to Leslie's retirement luncheon for a brief appearance before arriving late to a meeting for work. Then my day went downhill.
Re-enter The Stomach Flu. I was praying to porcelain for a good 24 hours. I finally re-emerged semi-alive enough to go back to work, and the next evening, Alvin (our "special-needs" cat) ate a crucial part of my breastpump (actually it was my backup to the part he ate last week). Apparently local stores don't carry this part, which resulted in a minor meltdown at BuyBuyBaby, and some MacGuyver-esque creativity to improvise for the next day so Eli wouldn't starve and I didn't explode. Meanwhile, I had an application for a job promotion due the next day (Friday), which I forgot to bring home to finish. Awesome.
I'm afraid the CDC is going to quarentine Eli as a pandemic source- he gave it to his Grandpa Ed, his great-aunt, great-grandmother, and one of Leslie's friends. His daycare also had a notice posted about a stomach bug going around his class.
But, at least we are healthy now, I finally got a replacement part for my pump (if I can keep Alvin away), and I got the promotion application sent on time. Yes, this is a ridiculously long post, but just had to share the saga. Just another insane week in the life of a working mom...unfortunately no trip to Tahiti...

No comments: