


Yes, another posting about work travel. This really should be it for a while. I requested a trip next summer which will probably be rejected, and I think I'll get to go to Utah at the end of the summer (woo-hoo! Now there's a boondoggle!)
Ironically enough, just before I left and while I was gone there was some media buzz about work trips becoming vacations for working moms. I think the NYT ran an article and the Today show did a related segment.
Ok, I have to admit it is really nice being able to floss uninterrupted and paint my nails and watch tv and sleep. But even though I was in San Francisco, which really should have been a boondoggle, it wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. I did go on a big shopping spree the day I arrived (finally cashing in the gift cards from last Christmas!), but after that I was lucky to be able to run a few blocks for coffee, and had late carry-out dinners in my hotel room (ok, they were really really good sushi or Chinese carry-outs, but still, kinda lonely). The conference schedule was pretty grueling, starting at 8 or 9 and going straight until 6 or 7, without a lunch break most days and only a few minutes between sessions (barely enough time to find the next room let alone get food). Sitting through panel after panel of academics making up big words really fries the brain, so I was just totally ready to crash by the end of the day. I also didn't know anyone at the conference, so that made the Saturday social event (African dance party) more like a bad junior high flash-back. The conference itself was overall useful, and it was definitely an interesting crowd.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Justin had an ear infection to deal with. No, not Eli. Justin. He never gets sick, but when I travel he always ends up at the doctor. When I was in Canada he got a stress fracture in his leg, and he had some horrible cold bug when I was overseas.
Eli seemed more distressed by my absence this time, maybe because the last trip was so long, but he was ok today. I was barely functioning at work though since my flight landed at midnight, so 5:30am eastern time came really, really early. Here are a few pics of Eli's adventures while I was gone. Off to bed.
1 comment:
Guess I'll have to figure out how to link to your blog for that photo of Eddie :) For what it's worth, Eli seems to be having a good time when we saw him...which was often with the popcorn popper push toy in his hand :)
Post a Comment