Monday, July 03, 2006

The Post-Storm Daycare Scramble



We've been really lucky with our daycare center in that we've never had to deal with a closing, aside from a few early dismissals or delayed openings for snow. Well, the havoc of the week's storms continues. A thunderstorm Sunday night caused serious power outages with strong winds, lightening, and yes, more rain. Our power only blipped several times, but we've never actually had a real outage at our house. Many major intersections didn't have street lights, and the whole area around daycare was without power all day, and probably tomorrow as well (luckily it is a holiday). Eli ran to the door like he does every day, and when the worker told them they were closed, Eli started pounding on the door and crying, very confused.
So after an early-morning scramble (after I was already at my desk), Eli's grandpa and visiting Great Auntie & Uncle agreed to take Eli for the day so Nana, Justin and I could all go to work. Probably wasn't what my Aunt & Uncle had in mind for their DC trip, but other than not napping apparently Eli was pretty good. Going to try to see fireworks tomorrow.
We had a fairly quiet, but hot, weekend. Had an impromtu pool party with Eddie on Saturday and went the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the Mall Sunday. I also trimmed back our carnivorous attacking butterfly bush in the front of the house. It was already growing out of control, but after all the rain it was threatening to consume vehicles and large mammals. I was afraid I'd find a delivery person or door-to-door Mormon trapped under the branches. After the major pruning I forgot my gardening gloves in the foyer, which Eli thought were quite fun to try on.

No comments: