Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Nothin' says Merry Christmas like Zzz's, Flicks and Bling

That's what Santa brought me. Yes, I'll get to the cute stuff about Eli's Christmas morning glee at Grandma's in a minute, but let me self-indulge first:
1)Miss Lena the 11lb diva let me sleep from midnight to almost 5am, the longest stretch of continuous horizontal sleep I've experienced in 10 weeks AND Eli slept until 7am.
2)I got to watch a whole DVD during naptime AND thanks to the grandparents babysitting, went to the theater with Justin to see Charlie Wilson's War. It was not only the ONLY movie I've seen in a long time, but one of the best ever not just for great acting and cast (Tom Hanks' ass notwithstanding) but for its historical relevance to overlooked current events of geopolitical strategic significance... ahem [END political commentary portion] Anywhoo... and
3) My husband/driver of my Toyota birthing room gave me a platinum&diamond necklace for Christmas (and maybe a slightly belated "thanks for creating the 2 cutest kids in the universe and keeping the floormats clean" offering). I'm only being slightly crass. ;) I'm not really the bling type, but I make exceptions.

A wild departure from my childhood Christmas memories in northern NH of frostbite from sledding with the cousins in 3ft of snow, Grandpa Stubby hiding his annual issue of Playboy from his stocking, Nana ironing the wrapping paper to reuse next year, dinner involving at least half a dozen unidentifiable mashed root vegetables before church, and sleeping next to my cousins under a pile of blankets so thick we couldn't move to ward off hypothermia, as my oldest cousin tried to convince us he heard a sleigh on the roof. Not "traditional" this year and perhaps an unconventional secular celebration of the Holy Birth (at least Joseph pulled over so Mary could deliver in a manger!), but enjoyable regardless.

Eli had a grand time opening yet more presents and seeing the empty plate of cookies he left on the hearth.
Happy Boxing Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree about "creating the 2 cutest kids in the universe."

Signed--Two Cutest Kids in the Universe's Grandmother in Chesapeake, VA

Shannon said...

Hey...your cousin heard those same sleigh bells this year too! Only we were just sleeping under one blanket! And...I beg to differ a bit on the 2 cutest thing. Your's ARE cute but mine was the cutest first. :p

Merry Christmas!